How to Properly Care for your Silver Jewelry:
Sterling silver jewelry can remain looking fabulous for many years when the proper care is taken. Here are some tips to help keep your pieces looking their best:
To reduce tarnish it is important to
- -Avoid humidity.
- -Store pieces separately in an air tight plastic bag.
- -Add a piece of chalk or pack of silica to reduce humidity if you have any.
When to Remove Jewelry:
Although frequent wearing of silver jewelry is recommended as the natural oils in your skin help it to keep its shine, there are several instances when jewelry should be removed:
- -Swimming and showering. Chemicals in the water and soap and shampoo can cause tarnish.
- -Using household cleaners. The chemicals can cause tarnish and sometimes more serious damage such as pitting.
- -Applying lotion, makeup and hairspray.
- -Sleeping. Earring posts can become bent out of shape and chains can get tangled and break.
- -Exercising. Excessive sweat can cause tarnish and necklaces and bracelets can become snagged, and break. Rings can get damaged.
- -Gardening. Even if wearing gloves, rings can become misshapen or damaged.
- -When polishing silver it is important to use a proper cloth. It should be non-abrasive and lint free. Never use tissue or paper towel to polish your jewelry, the paper & wood fibers in it can scratch your jewelry
- -Avoid polishing areas that are finished with an antique patina as the piece will lose its intended appearance.
- -Be careful when using commercial silver cleaners. These can be dangerous to both your health and your jewelry.
Follow these guidelines to keep your sterling silver
looking its best!
** Never use a silver dip or tarnish paste on your Plum & Posey jewelry, it strips the gorgeous patina we take such care in applying.